“One reason people resist change is because they focus on what they have to  give up, instead of what they have to gain” – Rick Godwin

By Cloei C 

Changing schools seems like it can be a difficult thing. I felt that meeting new friends, changing classes, getting new teachers, and seeing unfamiliar faces would be hard. In the process, I saw that it was not difficult at all. I changed schools within the district in the middle of my seventh grade year. I really wanted to spend the year with the people I consider family . When I came to Griffiths Middle School everyone welcomed me such as the counselor’s, staff members, and the students. I saw all  my old friends from Maude Price Elementary. Changing schools allowed me to reconnect and meet new people. Maybe changing schools isn’t such a bad idea. 

”Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” – Bernard Shaw

By Natalie R

Changing schools is difficult and it is something I never thought I would have to do. I thought about all of my friends and teachers and I didn’t want to leave. I moved to my home school in the middle of my eighth grade year. I wanted to stay at my prior school since it was my last year and I wanted to promote with my best friends. On my first day the teachers and students were welcoming. I saw many people that I had not seen in a long time from my elementary. I would always compare my old and new school and I noticed that I needed to end that because it wasn’t helping with the change. Once I stopped comparing the schools and accepting my new school, I realized that the change became so much easier and that it was not as bad as I thought. Accepting the change helped me make more friends, adapt to the school, and become more independent. I had to realize that change is a good thing and leads to more opportunities and experiences. I will always miss my old school but I am now glad that I changed schools and I am excited for what is going to come.

Here are some tips for moving to a new school:

Do’s:

• Be yourself

• Be confident

• Let your friends come to you

• Be friendly and give people a smile

Don’ts

• Don’t try to impress others

• Don’t get into drama

• Don’t try to fit in

• Don’t be afraid to get involved