Many young kids are using too much toothpaste. This increases their risk of streaky or splotchy teeth when they get older. About 40 percent of kids ages 3 to 6 used a brush that was full or half-full of toothpaste. Even though experts recommend no more than a pea-sized amount.  The amount of toothpaste is important. Children under the age of 3 are only supposed to use a smear of toothpaste, about the size of a grain of rice.  Kids 3 to 6 are supposed to keep it to a pea-sized amount. Young kids may push for independence in brushing their teeth, but kids’ toothpaste tastes sweet.   More than 70 years ago, scientists discovered that people whose drinking water had more fluoride had fewer cavities.  Experts say fluoride brought down rates of tooth decay in U.S. teens and adults.

How many times a day do you brush your teeth? ” I brush my teeth 4 times a day,” says 8th grader Renata Ocana

How much toothpaste do you use? ” I use a lot of toothpaste… I usually cover all of the Brussels on the brush¨ says  6th grader Jacob Meyer.