Usually when teens start challenges many people think if dangerous and unusual things such as eating a tablespoon of cinnamon or throwing boiling water at a friend. But the #trashtag is nothing like those challenges, the #trashtag encourages teens to pick up trash they see and clean the environment. The #trashtag is not a new challenge but recently this has been trending from social media user, Byron Romaḿ. On March 5 Romań posted a photo of a dramatic cleanup in the forest and captioned, ¨Here is a new #challenge for all you bored teens, take a photo of an area that needs some cleaning or maintenance, then take a photo after you have done something about it, and post it.¨ This post continued to go viral, by March 12 the post has been shared to others more than 323,000.

Although this challenged was aimed to mostly teens, adults have been participating as well. A user had commented, ¨Not just for teens, Let’s go humanity.” Romań stated he had been send hundreds of messages from teachers and parents cleaning with their children all over the world. In a phone interview with The Washington Post Romań said, ¨I think it’s our responsibility to keep our planet clean. It doesn’t matter who made the mess because it belongs to all of us, It’s our job, I am glad my post reached every corner of the world.”